Today’s lesson was the final lesson focused on IELTS Writing Task #1. In order to assess comprehension of the lessons that had taken place and to determine whether or not the students writing had improved, the only activity today was for students to write the exact same IELTS Writing Task #1 from a previous lesson so we could compare answers.

Students in this class seem to enjoy lessons referencing pop culture and current events. With this in mind, I integrated an opening music video, Eye of the Tiger, and followed-up with a discussion regarding commons phrases such as “eye of the tiger,” and “keep your eye on the prize.” This opening hook grabbed the attention of students and helped them focus on the task at hand.

The last component of the lesson today was solicitation of feedback concerning my teaching. Kathy and I used the same feedback questions to ensure consistency of experience for students. Using a google form, students were invited to provide feedback based on the Stop, Start, and Continue model. It felt great to receive such positive feedback from the students; they highlighted my high energy, positive attitude and integration of a variety of teaching tools to engage students (check out Student Feedback for a snapshot of the feedback I received over the course of my practicum placement).