My teaching philosophy is based on principles and values derived from my experiences and expectations as an administrator, teacher and student. They inform the framework in which I approach teaching, which can be described as supporting the individual success of a student. As John Dewey stated, “any genuine teaching will result, if successful, in someone’s knowing how to bring about a better condition of things than existed earlier.” This passion to support student success is rooted in my own lived experience as a first-generation postsecondary attendee, a self-identified member of the LGBTQ2S+ community, and my professional experience as an educator and administrator within public and post-secondary education systems within Manitoba, Ontario and British Columbia.

Learning is life-long. The learning skills students develop through academic classes will be retained long after the formal learning experience. I aim to encourage students’ natural curiosity about the world in order to facilitate creative thinking that will serve them well beyond the classroom.

Learning should be relevant and enjoyable. The best learning takes place when students can personally relate to the subject matter and are actively involved in the experience. As the teacher, it is my responsibility to facilitate discussion and dialogue with and among students and the teacher.

A teacher must adapt to the unique needs of students. Each student is an individual with a unique set of experiences, perspectives, and learning styles. As the teacher, I must remain current on subject content and communicate subject matter in a way that is meaningful and relevant to each student.

Learning should be challenging. True learning, as opposed to rote memorization, results from active thinking and engagement. I must encourage students to question accepted truths or rules from every angle and to reconcile that information with their experiences and beliefs.

The classroom must be a safe and brave place to learn. As the teacher, I must facilitate the creation of an environment where students feel comfortable engaging and are encouraged to share their thoughts without fear of embarrassment.

A teacher must seek feedback. Each class is an opportunity to evaluate and to improve my performance as a teacher. I must encourage informal and formal feedback from students in order to improve my teaching practice.