Today’s lesson built upon the foundational IELTS Writing Task #1 lesson from yesterday. The plan was to break down each section of writing tasks into separate mini-lessons where students could focus on improving their writing in a timed setting.

Being an online class it can be challenging to provide “handouts” students can fill out. To meet this need I created an online writing submission form via Google Forms. This provided students the opportunity to immediately submit their answers to me, while also showing me who had completed the task, and who did not. Once the answers were submitted I was able to pull up a student submission and share it via MS Teams. As a class we talked through the submission and students provided peer-feedback. To my surprise, students welcomed the opportunity to provide feedback and may students volunteered to do so.

Overall this was a successful lesson. We were able to get through most of the components of the lesson and students indicated that it provided valuable information to prepare for the IELTS assessment.