Today I observed the classroom in which I will teach as part of my TESL practicum experience. The class, another English 600 level within the Centro Universitario Anglo Mexicano (Anglo Mexican University Centre) also transitioned to online learning due to the global pandemic and takes place online via the Microsoft Teams platform. As this was the first time I was virtually meeting the class, my fellow TESL student and I were asked to prepare short introductions in order to establish a connection with the students. We attempted to deliver our short introductions the day before, but due to technical difficulties we were unable to join the Teams platform.

Building on previous lessons on stereotypes, Kathryn and I commenced our introductions with a brief overview of who we were, where we were from and the stereotypes that are often associated with our identities. To provide an opportunity for engagement, we ended the introduction with the two truths and a lie activity. The students listened patiently to our descriptions and some student even wrote down comments we were sharing. When they learned the “lie” they laughed, spoke about the lie and even commented in the chat. In the end, the activity turned out to be a positive experience for everyone and a great way to meet the students.

Unfortunately our time with the students was cut short as the weather had turned for the worst due to the imminent hurricane. Students were vocally nervous about the major weather storm approaching and the teacher attempted to reduce student anxiety by answering questions and clarifying myths. The teacher adjusted the lesson for the day and played an audio recording from a friend in Texas who was a meteorologist; the recording provided an overview of the weather forecast and the potential pathway of the hurricane. The teacher used this opportunity to clarify and explain unknown vocabulary while reducing stress of the students. Shortly thereafter, class ended as the teacher needed to consult with administration on whether or not classes would continue for the remainder of the week.

While the lesson today was cut short it highlighted the need and importance of flexibility when teaching. The teacher was able to pivot the lesson to focus on the stress of the students by sharing the audio clip and finding ways in which to discuss English vocabulary. It’s a friendly reminder that teachers must be current on local, national and global situations and the ways they can impact the learning environment.