Today I observed a split class (Basic Integrated and Pre-Intermediate Integrated Skills) which focused on practicing listening, speaking, pronunciation, vocabulary building, grammar, reading, writing and learning strategies. From the beginning of the class I was impressed with the flow and the engagement of the students.

The lesson, specifically focused on adjectives, included a clear description of the grammar point, activities for students to participate in and personal stories to bring to life the vocabulary. This was the first class I have observed where the teacher made full use of the technology functions; chat, emojis, microphone, and breakout rooms. In addition, the teacher embedded a comprehension check tool into the class where students would identify via a number whether or not they understood the directions (1 = “got it” and 2 = “confused” or “don’t understand”). It was apparent that the students were actively engaged in the activities as when called upon they were quick to volunteer and answer.

While the teacher was working from a textbook, they embedded personal stories into the lesson to increase comprehension. This approach emphasized the human side of teaching and is a good example of how a teacher can create an enriched learning environment even within the digital context.

In conclusion this observation reminded me of ensuring the goal/objective of the lesson is clear so that students are aware what they are learning and working towards. Once this is determined the types of activities and exercises that support this objective will become clear.